Thursday, February 21, 2013

Losing my senses?

"Whenever you are prompted by grace and mean to follow up on your 'blind seeing, make sure that with firm, wise, and earnest sorrow you put away your physical senses (hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch), your spiritual senses (by which you understand things), and all that is known through these two channels"
     I don't know about you guys, but this passage really bothers me! How can one put away their physical and spiritual senses and still be able to do anything? I understand that the author is stressing the reader to remove and put away anything not of God, but didn't God create the senses? He gave us both physical and spiritual senses to be able to know His presence. Wouldn't a person be a coma like state if they removed both of these things? Or is the author suggesting a state of prayer like this? If the author is, how can one really pray in this state. It seems impossible to me! When I pray I need my thoughts, just as I need my voice in a conversation.  
     Then it goes on to say, "Take care that none of those foolish people who live by their senses hear of these matters. 'Foolish' is my word for those who are attached to knowledge and who love things that can be known and have beginnings."  What those this mean exactly? I am foolish for trusting in my senses? Or is it that I rely to heavily upon them? Maybe I do.  But I have this is in way is really weird to me, how can one completely detach themselves from their senses and have a connection with God? Although, I'm not saying one cannot, Jesus never taught his disciples to sit all day, somewhere seculsive and pray by detaching themselves from their bodily senses and their spiritual senses. Did Jesus teach to pray in solitude? Most definitely! But not where it consumed all our time, our days.  If we as Christians were designed to seek God this way, we would not have the Great Commission. 
   I know this blog is late and its a rant, but this stuff was running wild in my mind! Maybe someone can help me make sense of this!

P.S. commented on Jamie's post

No comments:

Post a Comment