Thursday, February 21, 2013

Trying to tell time with Dali's clocks.

So, I couldn't help but think we were a little over our heads today in conversation. Notice, I did not say that "I" was in over "my" head. We were trying to grasp the characteristics of God. The only time I think humanity could grasp the characteristics of God would be in the Garden of Eden. In class, we were told to think of three words to describe God. If it were a test, I probably would have failed. I only came up with one: indescribable. Since humanity is fallen, we have a skewed view of God compared to life before The Fall. The only two ways to decipher the true character of God is through Scripture and through revelations. Even through revelation, discernment needs to be made for whether or not God is truly revealing something or not. For example, if someone is being told "by God" to do something that directly goes against Scripture, they probably aren't being given revelation by God. Unless one of two of these is happening, then it is impossible to determine the characteristics of God. It is like trying to tell time with the clocks in the Salvador Dali painting I posted above. We have a distorted view of God, and it is not because God changes, but instead because our perspective is from a sinful state.

Commented on Tinsley's "Tommorow is fresh"

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to see that someone described God as "indescribable." I have been waiting for that description all day. However, God can be portrayed through even the most obvious terms: loving, sanctified, and merciful. Obviously there is more to it, but I was kind of upset that no one simply said the word "love" in their description of God. That seems like the most obvious one to me, since the love of Jesus Christ is the thing that sets us Christians apart from the rest of the world. Maybe I should have written my actual blog about this, because I can go on and on about it.

    ReplyDelete