Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Poetry in theology

So much of the Medieval Christian writers seem to speak poetically. I think post- enlightenment we often think that the empirical search for knowable truth can't involve poetry. How beautiful that here it does! It appeals to truth which is deeper than mere ratio. Ratio with the arts, with beauty.

"you are wisdom, uncreated and eternal
the supreme First Cause, above all being,
sovereign Godhead, sovereign goodness,
watching unseen the God-inspired wisdom of Christian
People."


It's beauty, it's art. I love it. I wish I could get inside the minds of these Medieval theologians and try to understand how they connected Christ to art and beauty and truth. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any books/authors they can recommend on this holistic approach?

I commented on Rebekah Dye's Post

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. The Medieval Christian writers really do seem to have connected with God at a level I never have. They connected at a level that shows, without a doubt, how beautiful God really is. The Medieval Muslims did too though, they also seem to have an innate sense of beauty found through their god, which is interesting when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete