Thursday, February 21, 2013

Free Will and Predestination

"God is ready when you are, and is waiting for you." I could not help but stop and stare and this quote upon reading it. The only thing that I could only think about was my life, and the road I am following. I realize that God transforms us as we conform to the ways of a Christian life; I understand that that He chooses us to be one of his "specials" but I hit me like a ton of bricks when I scanned this verse. I knew that we as people are to run to him whenever we stray away, but never have I quite grasped the fact that God never moves. He is the unmoved mover and no matter what corrupt action we can preform, it will never void the grace he has given us.

I just felt like that was necessary to share since I received a whole new perspective on it, but it also kinda relates to my second point. When I read "The Cloud of Unknowing" I sensed a hint of predestination being fed into it. At one point it is said that God "has chosen you out of his flock to be one of his 'specials.'" This is definitely not the most relevant point here, but I just cannot help but relate the fact that predestination and and free will are mentioned together. I might be interpreting this whole passage wrong, but does it seem kind of contradicting that these two are mentioned together? Or is a matter of us humans coming to God when we put away other secular treasures, and God, all-knowing and powerful, just happened to choose us because He knew that we would convert to Him? That seems like the most reasonable approach to me.

I commented on Josh Goldman's "Trying to tell time with Dali's clocks"

No comments:

Post a Comment