Thursday, February 14, 2013

Is that you, Moses?

The actions of Moses in the "Hadith of Muhammad's 'Night Journey'" surprised me. Moses wept - because he apparently knew that Muhammad would lead more people to heaven. He encouraged Muhammad to bargain with God about the daily prayer quota. The bargaining didn't seem strange to me (Moses had asked God to send a good speaker to talk to Pharaoh), but his crying did. Moses was jealous! This hadith made Moses seem petty to me.

P.S. I commented on Jasmine's post.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the entire way that Muhammed described his interactions with the other "prophets" was intended to subtly demean them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to you Molly! And not only the prophets, but the people groups, because Moses kept telling Muhammed that the people could not do what God asked them to do just as the Jews couldn't follow instructions.

    ReplyDelete