Thursday, February 14, 2013

Good Band Name: Muhammad's Pajamas

Confession time: this is going to be one of my shorter posts. However, I have a good point to make. We took a look in class about the similarities between the Jews and Muslims. In our reading, we saw that many of the same people who are in the Old Testament are also in the Qur'an. Because the names of Abraham and Moses are in both writings, I think that it confirms the legitimacy of their existence. For many people, it is hard to discern whether or not some of the Holy texts are fact or faked. They believe that it is hard to believe  the accuracy of something written thousands of years ago. However, if two different books from different sources that are claiming to be factual write about the same people, it seems to me to be further evidence. It is similar in the gospels where people are disturbed that some of the same things are written about in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. However, if the writers are telling the same story, but in different ways, some of the stories are bound to coincide. Now, this might not be the  best example because the gospels are claiming the same truth, but the Old Testament and Qur'an are claiming two different beliefs. However, I think that further justifies the legitimacy of the people in these books. If they disagree on a number of things, but agree on certain things as truth, it is likely that those things are true.

2 comments:

  1. Josh, I see what you're saying, and I agree that there may some relevance to the fact that some of the same people are mentioned in both. However, I'm not sure how the Qur'an, which didn't come until around 600 AD, would confirm the existence of the people Old Testament. If I'm not mistaken, Abraham lived around 2000 BC, meaning that there was a gab of around 2600 years between Abraham and the Qur'an. To rely on the Qur'an as a conformation of his life is like relying on a book written yesterday to confirm the existence of Jesus. While it does prove that the people BELIEVED that Abraham had existed in 600, I don't think a mention of him in the Qur'an is a good argument for his actual existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you're saying. I didn't quite think the dates out well enough.

    ReplyDelete