Thursday, February 14, 2013

Christian and Islamic Violence

I think we all read anything to do with Islam with a hypercritical eye. Though I obviously do not believe what the Qur'an says, nor do I agree with the concept of the 'Holy War,' I must admit to the similarities of the Muslim and the Christian church of that era. In history, both Muslims and Christians have often used violence in the name of their faith. We like to point the finger at Islam being a violent religion, but we neglect considering our crusades. The Qur'an seems to contradict itself, saying not to wage war, yet the caliphs of later times were violent, raging wars for religious purposes. Christians did the same thing. Both break these rules, and seem to try to justify it. In a sense, I think Muslims could justify it more so by looking at their leader, the prophet Muhammed, who fought to protect and advance his teachings. Christians cannot justify this if they look at Christ, though; Christ is the difference, for He did not have to fight to preserve his teachings.
It amazes me how Islam and Muhammed could believe the things he does about Christianity. Jesus makes so man divinity statements--I mean, just read the Bible. I suppose if you just believe it is all made up, that is the only way to discredit parts of the religion but accept others. I have many mixed thoughts on this religion, but these are just a few.

commented on katelyn's

No comments:

Post a Comment