Thursday, April 11, 2013

Predestination. Yes, I brought it up :)


"By predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which He determined with Himself whatever He wished to happen with regard to every man.  All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or the other of these purposes, we say that he has been predestined to life or to death. …" 

If I had five dollars for every time this statement has brought contention in a discussion, I think I would be the richest person on earth.  I'd never read the actual works of Calvin before, although I've discussed predestination vs. free will way too many times with fellow believers, and his wording truly surprised me.  He addresses arguments and what he considers truth in blunt, forceful arguments, making statements most Calvinists would quail before.  However, while I do have a very strong opinion on this subject, as I'm sure most people in this class do, my opinion does not matter.  However, the salvation of others does, and that's what is a major concern with this belief.  To never have certainty in the faith, to forever have that chance that God had condemned you to Hell before your birth... it's really too awful to think about.  I've personally seen this kind of thinking turn in a very negative direction, where people refuse to have anything to do with the church or believers as they say that no matter what they do, it doesn't matter.  They're already stuck going to one place or the other.

While Calvin's logic is incredible, as a believer, I see many practical flaws.  In concept, it makes sense.  In the real world, does it?  I don't believe so.

Commented on Jamie's "Oooo... Shiny..."

1 comment:

  1. >>To never have certainty in the faith, to forever have that chance that God had condemned you to Hell before your birth... it's really too awful to think about.

    I know what you're talking about. It's really sad for those troubled saints who despair for these things. I knew a Calvinist who always said, "I think I'm one of the elect... I hope." Because he struggled with a particular sin for a long time, he worried he wasn't actually saved. But the broken man was precious to God. I cried for him.

    It's even sadder because Calvinism doesn't have to be that way. Calvinism understood rightly points troubled saints to Jesus, not themselves or their obedience, for hope and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete