Thursday, April 11, 2013

Palestrina and His Venues

In class, we listened to a little Palestrina. Let me start by saying that I love his works. I have performed many of his pieces in numerous cathedrals, and they never get old.

I know Calvin had a bone to pick with musical works like this, namely because they were emotionally charged songs being sung in church. However, there's something else about Palestrina that I cannot put my finger on that makes his works an element of worship on a completely different level than any other musical piece.

As a performer of such works, I find that when singing them, the acoustics in many cathedrals reflect the sound to appear as if the music is coming from all different directions. To the performer, they begin to feel as if the song is not originating from themselves. The performer simply becomes the channel for praise that comes from nature itself. The song comes from all creatures on the earth, and the performer merely manifests it in a physical form.

Also, this is my favorite Palestrina piece to listen to, as well as sing along with. I hope this counts as a quote.

~~Cody Martin

ps- I commented here

No comments:

Post a Comment