Thursday, March 14, 2013

Virtue

So since I just stressed over my paper I decieded to incorporate it into my blog post.

The topic of my paper was what the casue of virtue is. A specific question that I discussed was whether or not humans could obtain certain virtues through habituation, or through developing habits through our actions. The objection to this idea being that there is no good without the soverighn God, that by the grace given by God we are saved and therefore virtue cannot be obtained by habitiation, but only as a gift bestowed by God. Further that actions that lead to virtue lack the perfection of true virtues, and cannot therefore be virtuous becaseu "an effect cannot be more virtuous that its casue". However, actions made on the pre-existing idea of good established by God can have the effect of producing a type of virtue.

ps-I commeneted on Brian's.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great topic, Molly! I love thinking about virtues and why we have them. I completely agree with you here, we are only given our gifts, and abilities, and virtues by God and his grace. He is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete