Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Lust of Achilles



The Lust of Achilles


Okay! So I remembered to write my blog. Awesome! 


I found it interesting that Achilles was stuck in the Circle of Lust, along with Helen and Paris. One would think that for sure Achilles would be thrown in the people who went to Hell for being slaves to Wrath instead, but apparently not. Perhaps Achilles lusted after battle and glory, and was sentenced accordingly? Yes, there were women involved in his life, but it seemed to me when we read the Iliad that Achilles cared more about Glory,Honor,and War than cared about women. I also found it funny that he's stuck there with Paris and Helen, the two people that are probably the main cause of The Trojan war. Yet, they're all stuck in the same place, bearing the same about of punishment. But I do think Achilles lusted after battle. After all, when he was given the choice to return home and live a life without glory, or stay and die on the battle field WITH glory, he chose the latter. I think that says a lot about the character of this mighty warrior. The question is, are there multiple types of lust? I would say so. Achilles didn't partake of the sexual-lust so much as he did of war-lust. Achilles was a courageous and invincible warrior, but it seemed that his lust for war ended up being....his "Achilles' Heel". Ha...Ha...Ha.

P.S. commented on Skylar's "Be Careful What You Sin For"

1 comment:

  1. I think that there are multiple levels of each sin, or even virtue. It's all about the motivation behind the sin, like sexual lust v. the lust of glory.

    ReplyDelete