Thursday, March 14, 2013

Be careful what you sin for!

Reading Dante's Inferno really set my imagination into motion. This is because whenever I use to think about Hell I use to imagine just this big black pit of fire that all the people that weren't Christians or didn't believe in Christ would be. Never did I image that there were levels that were specifically designed for a persons' greatest sin including lust, wrath, and gluttony. Granted this is simply a fictional epic poem, but still it makes the mind wander what Hell will actually be like. Now even though I will never wind up in Hell as far as I know, I find it would be very interesting and appropriate if Hell was actually as detailed as Dante talks about. Every person has their biggest fears or their own personal "hell", so to be able to know that your punishment in Hell is specifically designed for you and other people with the same problems as yourself is pretty believable and terrifying. What we were discussing in class I found pretty hilarious also when someone mentioned that all the poets and philosophers wound up together continuously trying to discover the truth but not being able to because they trusted in their own knowledge and not the wisdom of Christ. It is also interesting to me that in cantos V line 77 -78 the only way Dante can speak to the souls in the second layer of Hell, which is the layer for the lustful, is to "entreat them by the love that leads them." This in a way signifies that whatever level you end up in, your soul still succumbs to the power of that sin.It makes me wonder where I would end up and what my greatest sin would be that would eternally follow me around, if I did not believe in Jesus Christ.


p.s. commented on jasmne's Dante's Hell

1 comment:

  1. Every person has their own set of fears and weaknesses, and I also think that we all have personal "hells" I never imagined what wondering through Hell would be like until reading Dante's Inferno. The levels are descriptive and ultimate torture to the beings trapped within.

    ReplyDelete