Wednesday, January 30, 2013

We must become gods...

The Boethius reading was very interesting to me, but I must say initially it was very frustrating simply because the main points that were highlighted are now illegible in my copy. As a result, man important quotes are blacked out. Even still, there was much I could say I followed and agreed with, as well as much I had issues with.
One of the biggest problems to me comes up in book three where Philosophy says "...as men become just by acquiring integrity, and wise by acquiring wisdom, so they must in a similar way become gods by acquiring divinity. Thus everyone who is happy is a god and, although it is true that God is one by nature, still there may be many gods by participation."
What does it even mean to be a 'god by participation'? In a sense, it does corollate with the Christian belief that one must receive the Holy Spirit to be at peace with God--but that does not mean that we become god through any act. We cannot attain the Holy Spirit. God must come to us. But in Boethius' writings, it seems as if there is some sort of realization or spirit state mankind much reach to achieve this divinity. That is all that can give him complete happiness, which is according to Boethius his end.
I do not agree that happiness is our end in this sense. I think our purpose is not based on us, but in our relationship with God. Philosophy seems to be so close to understanding God as essential, but instead of going to Him we are expected to become divine.

(commented on kaylie's from last week)

1 comment:

  1. Danielle I'm glad you addressed that passage... I read it and it didn't settle well but I wasn't sure what to do with it or how to take it so I wrote on something easier. However, I think your theory is what Boethius was getting at; he wants us to achieve the divine to be complete. His arguments seem slightly plausible until one remembers the impossibility of becoming god or even becoming like God apart from God. Just as we can never be truly happy outside a relationship with God, our purpose is wrapped up in Him as the true good rather than in happiness.

    ReplyDelete