Thursday, January 31, 2013

Water in the Well


I believe it was Dr. Brekke who said, “We are but a drop of water in the well of eternity.” This quote has been said over and over in many different ways, but it continues to shock me even though it is nothing new. It puts life into perspective, and makes me realize how small I really am. The wants and desires of my heart are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Our society provides for a group of people who only care about themselves, but we should realize that we are but a small drop. However, even a small drop can make a difference. We can be a part of the ripple effect or we can simply take up space. The choice is ours. 

I commented on Hannah Burch’s “Temporal vs. Eternal”

3 comments:

  1. I have a particular bone to pick with the"small drop can make a difference" idea. On a philosophical scale, yes, yes it can. But how big of a difference are we talking about here. In the grand scheme of things, isn't that difference all but meaningless? I mean, I'm just thinking objectively here, plus I like to be a gadfly sometimes. I know that in light of eternity, the things we do now to serve God will have a major impact, but what about all the other stuff? What about curing cancer, or solving what's behind all these mass murders? Does that help, or is that just another small drop in eternity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Becca! I am completely with you on this. We can make a difference. Not only for the Kingdom of God, but also in other things. I don't think, as Cody was saying, that it has to be something like cancer or something that huge to be making a "big" difference on earth. I believe that for certain people, at a certain point, a simple smile can change their whole outlook on life. I've heard stories of this happening. Therefore, I really think not only spiritually related things, but also things of earth, we are small, and may seem insignificant but we can make a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete