Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jesus Robe and Anti-zekiel

So now I'm going to do something completely out of the ordinary and relate the reading to scripture. In the reading, I noticed two that basically slapped me in the face. The first is found in Book I, Prose 3. It says::


Afterwards, the inept schools of Epicureans, Stoics, and others, each seeking its own interests, tried to steal the inheritance of Socrates and to possess me (in spite of my protests and struggles), as though I were the spoils of their quarreling. They tore this robe which I had woven with my own hands and, having ripped  off some little pieces of it, went away supposing that they possessed me wholly. Then, when traces of my garments were seen on some of them, they were rashly thought to be my friends, and they were therefore condemned by the error of the profane mob. 


When I read about people tearing the robes of Lady Philosophy in order that they may receive her wisdom, it seemed to me tied to oddly similar to the ninth chapter of Matthew. In the twentieth through twenty-sceond verses, it says:

 And a woman who had been suffering from a hemorrhage for twelve years, came up behind Him and touched the fringe of His cloakfor she was saying to herself, 'If I only touch His garment, I will get well.' But Jesus turning and seeing her said, 'Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well.' At once the woman was made well.

There are a lot of similarities between the two. Both were seeking to gain something from the cloak of a higher power. Also, once both had made contact with the robes, they went out announcing what had happened and they were recognized as witnesses to the higher entity's power. Then once I thought about it, though they are similar, there are two drastic differences. First, the people tearing Lady Philosophy's cloak were doing so without Philosophy's permission. Though Jesus was surprised as told in the Luke 8:40, account, the cloak was not what healed her, but Jesus' power was what healed her. Secondly. while the men in Philosphy's recollection were trying to comprehend philosophy completely, the woman with the hemorrhage only wanted to be healed and was not in pursuit of the godliness of Jesus.

The second biblical allusion is the personification of Fortune by Philosophy from Book 2, Prose 2. Before I continue I would like to say that Fortune is comparable to the fleeting mortal things of this world. Book 2, Prose 2 says:

When nature produced you from your mother's womb, I found you naked and lacking in everything. I nourished you with my abundant gifts, and, being inclined to favor you (an attitude which you now seem to hold against me), I endowed you with all the affluence and distinction in my power." 

After all that fortune did for and to Boethius, he turned to Philosophy for consolation. This is a little confusing to me, because it seems to be a complete negation of Ezekiel 16. verses 4-5 says, "On the day you were born your cord was not cut, nor were you washed with water to make you clean, nor were you rubbed with salt or wrapped in cloths. No one looked on you with pity or had compassion enough to do any of these things for you. Rather, you were thrown out into the open field, for on the day you were born you were despised." Both Boethius and the personified woman that is the nation of Israel, were thrown out in the world lacking clothes or any abundance. Ezekiel 16:6-11 says, "Then I passed by and saw you kicking about in your blood, and as you lay there in your blood I said to you, 'Live!'...I bathed you with water and washed the blood from you and put ointments on you. I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put sandals of fine leather on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments." Just like Fortune raised  Boethius from infancy, God raised Israel from its beginnings. But both Israel and Boethius grew tired of the treatment they received from their providers. They ran away from their providers and to two very different forms of comfort. While, the personified Israel turned to prostitution in the form of idols,  Boethius turned to Lady Philosophy. 

might be a bit of stretch, but I calls them likes I sees them. 

Josh Goldman

commented on Katelyn Ewing's "In Eternity"

1 comment:

  1. Josh, I really like how you saw the connections from Ezekiel, because in class that was exactly what I was thinking as well. Boethius, really uses a lot of personifications that seem straight from the Bible, or in the least based loosely off of them!

    ReplyDelete