Thursday, April 18, 2013

Why not Cordelia?

I really do not understand why the king sent Cordelia away. She was his favorite daughter and the better of the three. I do not understand why he could not have just given the other two sister the far portions of England and still have given Cordelia the middle. The love test was not even necessary or even logical because he knows the oldest two sisters do not genuinely love him, but Cordelia does. The whole situation just does not make any sense to me.


Ps I commented in katelyn ewings blog

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it definitely frustrates me. I think It is supposed to--it points us to the possible reasons for his irrational response. Is he senile? Insane? Or just proud at this point? I think we will see more in the King that will perhaps help us understand these earlier events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly think that he is obsessed with fame and fortune, which clouds his common judgements towards love and sympathy. Though I do not think he is insane, I do believe his character is stressed and rendered senile in performing simple acts of normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely struggled with this while I was reading it and especially in class today. Giving Cordelia the main portion of land would have made the most sense. I wish i knew what the king would have been thinking if he was thinking at all.

    ReplyDelete