Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tragic Hero?

In class it was suggested by Dr. Abernathy, I believe, that Brutus is not the tragic hero in Julius Caesar, but that the true tragic hero is the whole society of Rome.  We blamed the people for first raising up Caesar who they thought would take care of them, but them choosing the Senate who promised freedom.  Personally, I do not think it is right to blame the Roman citizens.  They are only interested in what will help them the most in life, almost like Americans today.  Personally, if a monarchy was the government that promised the most for myself and other citizens, I would be all for it!  Plato him says that the best government possible is one with one perfect leader who rules over everyone.  I believe that the biggest problem in Julius Caesar is that it is government is fighting within itself.  The people are ready to go for whatever will be best, but the people in charge can't stop killing each other.

I commented on Jannah's post.

-Susan Berner

No comments:

Post a Comment