Thursday, April 18, 2013

King Lear's Fatal Flaw...

I still am not sure what to think about King Lear. I believe that in Act 1 Scene 1 he acted rashly, in reaction to a hurt plan or pride. This makes the the situation in Act 2 with his two older daughters even worse--for not only does he lack the previous authority he held, but they already have grounds to call him senile and dismiss him. His greatest mistake was the rash dismissal of the two most honest people in his life: Cordelia and Kent. After that, I think it causes him to become confused, for not only is there so much deception going on around him (from the supposedly honest people as well as from the two older manipulative daughters), but he is unable to gain authority to correct his wrongs. He perhaps hasn't realized what he has done wrong yet, but perhaps later he will.



I commented on Jasmine's.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I don't think his fatal flaw is that he's senile. His rash haste in making decisions when people don't do what he wants them to is his true flaw. He's dismissing everything he knows about people and making a crucial decision spur of the moment, a major flaw in a king.

    ReplyDelete