Thursday, April 18, 2013

Brutus and Portia

    So what can I say, I'm a sucker for the romance scenes. However, the scene in Julius Caesar wear we are introduced to Portia, is my absolute favorite. Portia and Brutus share a strong bond and he deeply cares for her.  As does Portia for him. I think, really, this was another reason why Brutus was driven to continue in the plot to assassinate Caesar.  He wanted to fight for freedom of Roman citizens, Caesar was a monarch not a Senator, he was bringing an end to the Republic.  Now I have kinda jumped of the track. My point was suppose to be Portia was something Brutus was fighting for he wanted his family to live in safety and freedom from a tyrant's reign. You can see that this is true, because after the assassination, Brutus' revolt starts decaying after he hears that Portia is dead. With her, dies his hopes and dreams for future where Roman citizens could survive and live in freedom of a Republic.  Brutus is the last true Roman, and died so, never conquered by Monarchy or Tyranny. He controlled his fate.

P.S. commented on Gary's post.

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree. I do not think that Brutus is a true Roman, and he is not my favorite character. If not for Portia, I would truly dislike him. This woman, however, highlights the best qualities that at one time existed in her husband. Unfortunately, very little of the man Portia knows remains. He is really just a schemer like the rest of the Senators, plotting to kill his close friend. Dante puts him in the lowest circle of hell, with the most severe punishment possible after Judas. Brutus will not even tell Portia what is bothering him! I don't think the scene between them is romantic at all, but is more of a plea from a woman who knows that her husband is about to do something terrible.

    ReplyDelete