Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mr. King, do you mind?

This is probably one of my least favorite Shakespeare plays that I have read so far. Although it is entertaining at some points, it nonetheless irritated me that King Lear was foolish enough to make the decisions that he did. Of course, in most Shakespeare plays, there is always those people (or protagonists as we might call them) that can cause me to love and then hate them within a matter of seconds. In this story, I never really became interested in the King Lear's character. I cannot comprehend how you do not understand your own daughters. I realize that he was the king, who probably never associated with his children much, but how dreadful it seems to me to not even know the true character of your own children!

Like we said in class, maybe King Lear was insane. If so, then he needed to be killed for the sake of the country. If he lived, then maybe the country would suffer more.

P.S. I commented on Gary Hamner's "BRUTUS!!"

3 comments:

  1. King Lear really annoyed me as well. I don't think he was crazy at the beginning of the story - he was just dumb. He was so blind to his daughters' characters and to the consequences of his own actions until he got in trouble. So far, my favorite character is the Fool - he knows more about what is happening than anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, but he was insane at the start and he knew it. That's why he was divvying up his kingdom. Regan and Goneril didn't live in the castle with him anymore, he didn't know who they were, they'd changed since leaving. When they starting gushing, he chose to accept their praises and expected, since he knew Cordelia loved him the most, that Cordelia would do the same. There's his tragic flaw, overlooking that which he knows for that which brings him praise and glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree as well that King Lear was foolish and extremely naive in thinking he knew his own daughters when he clearly did not. I also agree that he probably was slightly insane at the beginning of the play. However, I do not believe that killing him would have been the best option. Just because he was a bad ruler or possibly insane does not give anyone the right to kill him. I agree he should not be ruling a country, but I also do not think there is really any appropriate situation where a ruler should be killed.

    ReplyDelete