Thursday, January 24, 2013

Having Faith

Through Augustine's thoughts and ideas, I have begun to think more deeply on things relating to my faith. Although Augustine was intelligent, he raised questions similar to ones that we as young people of Christ still ask today. One thing that stood out to me and made me think was his question about how we can seek God without actually knowing who he is. I've never thought of it this way. I was raised to just believe in God and have faith. I never questioned it. I know that the Lord is real and all-knowing, but Augustine asked a very simple, yet complex question. God is omnipotent. He is everywhere! We touched on this a little bit in class. It was interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on this and things related to this. Honors is definitley different than any other English class that I have had. I think that I'll even learn about myself just by being involved in this class.

I commented on Becca Sales' "Selfless Love."

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you are saying! I never really thought about questioning my faith in fact U&I thought you were just supposed to believe in God and have faith in him with no questions asked. Augustine really had me questioning my own faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the passage that you talked about, I thought of something I read in recently in my quiet time. There was a statement that Jesus made in John 6:44- "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." It seems like this is a pretty straightforward statement favoring calvinism, but I think its interesting to think about with what Augustine talks about concerning how we can seek God without knowing Him already.

    ReplyDelete