Wednesday, September 12, 2012

To be immortal...or not to be?

We talked so much in class of Odysseus's decision to become immortal and stay with Kalypso or remain mortal, and begin to make the long journey home. I for one was extremely glad he choose going home. I think that tells a lot about his character! While reading 'The Iliad' and 'The Odyssey' it has been very interesting to me to see how much people valued glory, immortality, honor and power. It makes sense to some degree but thinking about all the other characters in these books, I think if it had been a different character, they may have chosen a life of ease, very quickly. It was refreshing to me to see Odysseus putting value on home and family. While I can see which choice would've been easiest, I'm glad Odysseus chose the harder route. What is easiest, isn't always good.

P.s. I commented on Michelle Nellsch's 'Man of Mystery'

1 comment:

  1. I feel like this was a very hard choice for him and I also think he made the right choice. like I said in my blog, he has some good values and characteristics, it is just the way he goes about getting home that is frustrating. Also, if he values his family so much why does he sleep with Calypso and Circe? I'm not saying he doesn't love Penelope...but he doesn't show much respect for her.

    ReplyDelete