Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hardened Hearts

God sent ten plagues on the Egyptians. He turned water to blood, inflicted the men with boils, sent hail to destroy their crops, and killed their firstborn sons. Through Aaron, God warned Pharaoh before each plague, telling him to allow the Israelites to leave. But Pharaoh hardened his heart - at least, a few times. God also hardened the heart of Pharaoh.

Why would God send these ten plagues when He could solve the problem at once? Someone in our class suggested that He was punishing the Egyptians for oppressing the Israelites. Others pointed out that with each plague He showed His power over Egyptian gods. I'm not saying that these statements are not correct, but I do have another idea: these plagues may have been an example to doubting Israelites. In Exodus 5:21, some Israelites said to Moses and Aaron, "May the LORD look upon you and judge you! You have made us a stench to Pharaoh and his officials and have put a sword in their hand to kill us." (NIV) Exodus 6:9 reads, "Moses reported this to the Israelies, but they did not listen to him because of their discouragement and cruel bondage." (NIV) The Israelites seemed a little hesitant about this proposed journey. Was God using these plagues to show His power and sovereignty to His own chosen people?

One verse seems to explain the use of these plagues. In Exodus 10:2, God said He was doing these things so "that you may tell your children and grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians and how I performed my signs among them, and that you may know that I am the LORD." (NIV) It appears, then, that at least part of the reason behind the plagues was to acquaint the Israelites with the I AM.

I commented on emilylaforce's post.

1 comment:

  1. Katelyn I really love how you pointed this out! I have always held this suspicion in the back of mind. My opinion is that the plagues were not just for one specific purposes. They were to serve as punishments, warnings and a show of power.

    ReplyDelete