Thursday, November 1, 2012

Manners

We touched briefly on the subject of manners in class but I wanted to expand on that a little and drawl some parallels, because it's very important to me.
I personally hate that the respect of good manners has disappeared in society so much. Young people are stepping all over older people and caring nothing about it.
In the Bible there are several times when it talks about having respect and honor for parents and elders. I think the fact that manners has declined so much is a direct result of where our country has gone socially. We have fallen so much from our founding principles that we don't value the same things. I wish that we still held higher standards for ourselves.

P.s. I commented on TinsleyG's "Philosophy Still Works"

1 comment:

  1. Here's the thing... as far as manners themselves are concerned, they are largely arbitrary, varying from culture to culture. Common practice here would be scorned in a lot of foreign countries, and vice versa. Go outside the U.S., and you'll see that.

    As far as respecting the elderly is concerned, I do think you're right. Proverbs said that gray hair is a crown of splendor to the aged. Today it's the opposite. Gray hair is the sign of obsolescence. We glorify youth and expect the old to pay homage to the young.

    ReplyDelete