Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Cave and The Great Divorce

I noticed in the reading, which was likewise highlighted in class today, one of my favorite points of Plato: that which is real is eternal. It no doubt was a revolutionary thought in his day, and a mystery that other thinkers would expound upon in ages to come. It certainly fits in well with Christianity--and is a thought that C.S. Lewis seems to expound upon in his book The Great Divorce. When the main characters get to heaven, the grass, the rocks, the rain are all so real that they hurt to walk on. Instead of Heaven being a place that is shadowy and ethereal, it is the other way around. One sees a parallel between C.S. Lewis and his narrator and the individual of the cave, thrown into the real world after a life lived in the cave and seeing only shadows.

2 comments:

  1. I thouhght that this reference went along perfectly with todays discussion. I myself coulsn't quite comprehend the whole idea with reality really being shadows, but this made it a lot easier to get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I was just reading this book yesterday! (The Great Divorce) C.S. Lewis does a great job helping us see what reality truly is and what we think reality is. i.e. the ghost town and then what heaven is really like. Maybe he read about the cave and that sparked his idea for the great divorce...Who knows...

    ReplyDelete