Thursday, April 4, 2013

What Really Constitutes True?


Dr. Bear asked us to consider what the meaning of ‘true’ is and whether or not Gawain is ‘true.’ My answer to this question changes every time I read “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.” Last semester, when I wrote a paper on Gawain in three or four different Medieval works, I was of the opinion that no, Gawain was not true. He lies, cheats, and is incredibly cowardly. However, this time, I feel that Gawain is true. Yes, he lies, cheats, and is a coward, but in the end he is true to the code he follows. Even though he strays from the path of being ‘true,’ He very quickly repents of his wrongdoing and vows to stay on the path of ‘truth.’
Until next time, good luck with your papers! I’m going to go stress about paper and project stuff!!!
~Tantum e tenebris receptum constabit,
Meghan
PS I commented on Tinsley’s

No comments:

Post a Comment