Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ezio vs. Machiavelli

Alright I understand that I might sound like a complete nerd bringing this up, but just because of the fact that Machiavelli lived in Florence, Italy, I was incapable of preventing myself from thinking about Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed II. They both lived during the same time (during the 13th and 14th centuries) in the city of Florence. Throughout the whole game, Ezio fights with his clan of assassins against the secret society of Templars who basically have control of almost everything, including politics and religion. He even battles the Pope during this time in order to find the truths behind spirituality as well as the origins of this world and the devastating ends that it is coming to.

In Machiavelli's "The Prince" he tries to change the way in which the government is being run in Florence. His message seems satiric but it is ultimately just a peaceful way to lead to reformation. Even though Ezio's story is fictional, I could not help but compare the two methods of reforming the political justices that had overcome the city. Machiavelli sought a peaceful method by writing his political thoughts. Ezio tried to reform the city by basically killing off all the Templars. At least Ezio's story is not exactly true; but I do enjoy the game's story line.

Call me a nerd, but that is what stuck out to me the most this week.

P.S. I commented on Nick Hampton's "Camelot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment