Thursday, March 7, 2013

Shakespeare Group

I play Mistress Ford in our scene from "The Merry Wives of Windsor." Mistress Ford is married to Master Ford and, along with Mistress Page, has conspired to take Falstaff down a peg. Falstaff believes he can seduce both women, but they know what he is up to. They also know that Master Ford knows Falstaff is trying to seduce them and so they decide that they should play tricks on Falstaff and keep Master Ford in the dark the whole time. In this scene, Mistress Ford has Falstaff dress as an old woman to get out of the house, knowing that her husband hates said old woman and will beat "her" as "she" leaves the house.

I play Witch #1 in our scene from "Macbeth." Throughout "Macbeth," the witches cryptically give Macbeth information as to what he will "earn" if he kills the king. In this scene, the witches are discussing curses they have recently dished out and greet Macbeth and Banquo prophetically and cryptically when they both arrive.

In the last scene, I play Titania, Queen of the Fairies. In "A Midsummer Night's Dream," Titania and Oberon,  King of the Fairies, argue over who will receive the changeling child they have stolen. Titania ends up winning the child, but Oberon, with Puck's help, casts a love spell on Titania so that she will fall in love with Bottom who has been turned into a donkey. In this last scene that we will do, Titania and Oberon has made up and Titania signals for a song and dance to start with the fairies.

I chose the scenes that we are performing for a few reasons, mainly because they all stand alone really well. The two "Midsummer" scenes were chosen because one will mirror the parts we, the Shakespeare group, will be playing as a traveling acting troupe; as for the last scene, I chose it because of Puck's speech at the end. I chose the scene from "Hamlet" because "Hamlet" is a well known play and there are many scenes that stand alone well. The scene I chose is simple, short, and fun because Hamlet's emotions are all over the place. I chose the scene from "Much Ado" because it stands alone well and it is incredibly funny. The scene from "Romeo and Juliet" was chosen because everyone insisted I choose a scene from that play and the scene we're doing doesn't involve Juliet at all (a plus for me since it is my least favorite Shakespeare play. They were a 17 year old and 13 year old who had a three day affair which resulted in the deaths of a lot of people!). "Merry Wives" is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, probably has something to do with the multiple cheese references, so I knew I had to choose a scene from the play. The scene I chose stands alone well and is full of both physical and spoken comedy. Finally, "Macbeth" is one of the most famous Shakespeare plays and the witches are almost synonymous with the name of the play. I had to add a scene from the play. Even though the scenes are random and don't really have anything to do with one another, a lot can be learned from them. I am incredibly excited to see what happens as we rehearse this play over the next month or two.
Until next time,
Tantum e tenebris receptum constabit,
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment