Thursday, March 7, 2013

Medieval Dance Group

Happy Spring break, everyone!!
Like so many others, I am in the Medieval Group for the Honors project! And I am so excited about it! I'm always up for dancing, and I love the challenge of learning something old and yet, new. Because I procrastinated on this blog, almost everyone else in this group has already posted about Medieval time and dance. Therefore, some of this will be a little repetitive...my bad. But please take me at my word, I did actual research on this, and didn't just gather info. from other people's posts. I didn't even read the others... :/

In Medieval times, there were two prevalent types of dance; there was court dancing and country dancing. These may seem self-explanatory...well, they are. One, was preformed in the courts, for kings, or lords, or other people of 'rich' rank. The second, was preformed in the 'country-side', among the 'poorer' group of people.

In those times, the musicians who played the music in all these settings, usually were performers too. They would actually play and dance, at once. I do not understand how this is possible but then again, I am one of the least coordinated individuals ever. Seriously. Something else that was huge in that era, is that dances were extremely specific to a certain country. Each country had kind of...'their' dance, a 'native' dance, if you will. They all looked different, yet probably had a similar feel.

I have officially decided that this will be a great time. Bring it on, final project! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment