Thursday, March 21, 2013

Dante's Punishments


I am enjoying Dante more than I expected I would, not that this is a bad thing. It’s so much fun reading about characters and places I have heard about before. The characters from Greek and Roman mythology mixed with contemporaries of Dante himself give the entire epic a slight ring of truth. I find the punishments Dante describes especially interesting, though I’m still confused as to why Dante chose the exact punishments he did. (I missed class today because my allergies left me feeling incredibly blegh). I’m sure Dante had a good reason to choose the exact punishments he did, but I haven’t been able to decipher the reason yet. I’m looking forward to finishing the epic, mostly because I want to see how Dante treats Judas, that betrayal would be considered the worst of any that Dante puts into his inferno.
Tantum e tenebris receptum constabit,
Meghan

PS - I commented on Tinsley's post

No comments:

Post a Comment