Thursday, November 8, 2012

Whats the point?

     In all of the other epics we have read I have been able to easily pick out the moral or point of the story but to be quite honest I don't see the moral of the story here. Over all I think this story was pretty strait forward, Oedipus killed the king and then suffered the consequences. Then there was the mess about Oedipus and his mother/wife, I mean really? What is it there for other than to be gross? I don't understand. Please someone enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS: I commented on Emily Laforce's post "white suit"

1 comment:

  1. I could be completely wrong, but I thing the moral is that you can't escape fate. Everything that Oedipus and also his parents did to escape the prophecy, only led to the fulfilling of the prophecy. HIs parents sent Oedipus away so that the prophecy couldn't be fulfilled, and Oedipus (thinking the couple that found him were his parents) fled back and fulfilled the prophecy. If the parents hadn't sent him away, and Oedipus would have grown up knowing his true parents, I seriously doubt he would have fulfilled the prophecy.

    ReplyDelete