Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sorrow for a Fallen Hero


Poor Oedipus, I don’t say this about heroes normally, but I feel Oedipus deserves the pity! He begins genuinely wanting to help his people, and he ends the same way. He doesn’t try to shy away from the consequences of his actions, even though he would be perfectly justified to do so. His killing of his father was in self-defense, but he still exiles himself. He gouges out his eyes because he feels genuine remorse for what he’s done and believes he must punish himself. So why, after everything he is willing to do, does Apollo not take pity on him and allow him to stay in the city? What is it about Oedipus that makes Apollo hate him so much? Why is Fate against him? Perhaps there is an answer to these questions, but I sure don’t know what they are. I know that I feel sorry for Oedipus, for his children, for Thebes, and even for Jocasta since she must face the consequences of trying to avert Fate before she kills herself. The story of Oedipus has bothered me ever since I read it my Senior year in High School and I don’t think today helped clear up any of the burning questions I have. In fact, I believe I now have more questions than I did before. But that’s what Honors is, and this is why I enjoy the program so much!
Tantum e tenebris receptum constabit,
~Meghan
P.S. I commented on Jasmine’s post “Is Fate the Enemy?”

1 comment:

  1. The story of Oedipus is definitely tragic. I feel like Oedipus was a hero of his word much more so than the heroes of the other literature we have read this semester (especially Achilles). He was genuinely working for the good of his people when he found himself caught up in this tangled web. I agree with you completely and pity him as well.

    ReplyDelete