Thursday, April 25, 2013

In Defense of Cordelia


So, once again I will talk about Cordelia. I still don’t agree with Abernathy. Cordelia wasn’t stupid when she refused to say anything to her father. Her father came up with the competition and forced his daughters to come up with answers on the spot. She was placed in a position where she had to come up with a private answer in an embarrassing situation. But, of all three of the girls, her answer was the most honest. If you love someone enough, you can’t express it.
Congratulations to our new Honors Council, Tinsley, Brian, Molly, Rebekah, and Gary, you guys deserve it and I am incredibly proud of all of you!
Tantum e tenebris receptum constabit
Meghan

PS I commented on Skylar's "The Wise Fool"
PPS My title is a play on Morris' "The Defense of Guinevere" and is in honor of my wonderful friend Bethany who talked about Arthur tonight!!

3 comments:

  1. I like your perspective on this. At the end of the day, I'm not sure we will ever understand Cordelia or the way a woman's mind works or even how Shakespeare's mind works, but that doesn't mean we don't try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree partly with you on that. Honestly, it is just really awkward to be put into that situation. I don't even know how I would respond if I were in that situation. However, I just wonder how she thought her dad would interpret what she said. Did she just expect him to understand that she truly loved him more than her sisters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think Cordelia did well in consistently loving her father and not not buckling down under peer pressure. My only pet peeve was that she was a little bit on the pacifist side when it came to the intense breakouts of wars. Would have been cool to see her go nuts on her sisters for being so insensible.

    ReplyDelete