Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I love lear.

For anyone wondering where in the world I've been, I have mono:(. however, i've been keeping up with all the honors reading and it was probably the worst thing I could have done. Taking cold medicine and reading King Lear was extremely upsetting. King Lear is so TRAGIC. I love him. I don't know why I love king lear but I do.
I've thought a lot about shakespeare's life and if he put any of himself into lear. he wrote it ten years before he died and it is one of his later plays. I was really fascinated by the fact that it is Lear's old age that gets him mistreated. I thought of so many people who are cast aside because of their age. It seems a terribly consistent part of human nature. I wonder if our modern Love story blocks us from writing and creating great stories about different aspects of life. The genius of this is that it isn't Romeo and Juliet. Yet it is equally part of the human experience.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mallory this is so true! I am glad you blogged about this because I never would have thought about it if you hadn't. Just like you said even though it's not about a love story it still expresses a consistent part in human nature. The tragedy of your age defining you appears as often in human nature as the tragedy of star-crossed lovers. However, in today's society the stories that sell or are most popular are the ones pertaining to love. I must agree with what you that the appeal of a love story truly keep us from discovering other aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that we get so caught up in love stories and action that we sometimes forget about the beauty that exists in growing old. People today definitely do not respect old people as much as they should. I even find myself not showing as much respect as I should for the older people in my life, and not cherishing their wisdom as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete