Friday, September 7, 2012

A Man of Mystery

Telemachos was a young man who did not know his father. As the story progressed, he was able to learn more about this man of mystery. I don't know what it would have been like for me if  from the time I was a young kid to a grown adult to have never seen my father and to have my mother plauged with suitors for as long as I could remember. It must have been so hard on him, not having a true father figure around except for Mentor, and then suddenly learning about his true father. To Telemachos, Oddyseus was just a stranger in tales his mother told him; but to really know about his true character and personality gave new life and hope to this story. He learned about his father from some of Oddyseus's friends and comrades: Nestor the tamer of horses, Menelaos the fair haired, and finally from the infamous beauty Helen. To have met these people and be in good standing at his present age was what some would think a miracle; but was actually the work of Athene diguised as Mentor.

1 comment:

  1. The concept of not knowing your own father is such a hard one for me to wrap my head around! I don't know how Telemachos didn't go insane. My dad has always been the strong one to lean on and not having that for such crucial years of life would be devastating. I think it would've had a lasting impression on me. I am thankful though, that he at least knew people who were willing to tell him stories about Odysseus!

    ReplyDelete