Thursday, September 6, 2012

Achilles Sucks.



            I’m going to hate on Achilles a little bit more so feel free to brace yourselves now if you are team Achilles. Achilles’ treatment of Hektors body was the most atrocious thing in the entire epic. I found that more appalling than the river clogged with Achilles’ victims, and that imagery was disturbing to the extreme. Even the gods were offended by what he was doing, and I think for them to be offended on such a personal level means that something very wrong was happening. I will say this though, I think that the cruelty of his actions were a projection of his own guilt in the death of his friend Patroklos. I think that Achilles was directly involved in the death of Patroklos by his inaction. He could have fought alongside his friend and essentially ended the war but, as I’ve said many times, his pride hindered him and his friend died because of that very pride. The way he dishonored Hektor was so extreme and I feel like it was more to try and bring back the honor that was stolen from Patroklos in his death. I don’t know if I’m explaining this right, but basically what I’m saying is that Achilles’ treatment of Hektor’s body was just another selfish action because it was just a way for him to try and ease his own guilt.   

Posted on Jasmne's "Hector's Proposal"

2 comments:

  1. I don't think Achilles was directly involved in the death of Patroklos. After all, he did tell Patroklos to not continue fighting. Patroklos chose to keep fighting - Achilles didn't even force him to go out at all. Any involvement in Patroklos' death was indirect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Achilles had been there, he probably couldn't have protected Patroklos from Apollo. Apollo and Zeus had marked Patroklos for death because of Sarpedon. We can't know if Achilles' presence would have prevented that situation.

      Delete