Thursday, September 6, 2012

Team Hector, or Team Achilles?


I feel like it is nearly impossible to go through The Iliad and not compare the two greatest heroes on each side, Hector and Achilles.  I have wondered throughout the epic which one I would rather have on my side.  Before I read this entire novel I thought that I would be all for team Hector.  This came from ignorance and the assumption that the movie Troy was truthful.  I thought that it was a truthful display of the character’s personalities and events.  However, I learned that I was completely mistaken when I began to read the Iliad.  Hector and Achilles are great men and fierce warriors, and they both have their flaws, but I feel like in the end I would rather have a man like Achilles on my side.

Originally I thought that Hector is a better family man and that Achilles doesn’t feel anything except for anger and rage.  However, there are so many different sides to Achilles.  For example, he knows how to play the lyre, he shows respect to those he feels deserves it, and genuinely cares about Briseis.  Achilles actually cries over the woman he loses to Agamemnon.  It is clear that the woman is more than just a spoil of war to Achilles, for in the novel it says “Willingly went not the woman along.  But alone then Achilles tearfully turned him aside, and aloof from his comrades he sat him down on the grey sea’s beach, far-viewing the limitless waters.”

I believe that Achilles is also more honorable than Hector is.  Achilles knows that he will die in the war and accepts his fate.  Hector on the other hand must be tricked into turning around and fighting Achilles in the end.  Hector also does not actually kill Patroclus.  It is only after the Achaean’s armor is loosened, his helmet is knocked off, and he is disoriented that Hector can finally defeat him.  Plus the fact that Achilles is the one who defeats Hector (even if it was fated to happen) makes him more desirable.  Everyone loves a winner, especially one that has such a well rounded character.  Achilles has his flaws of course, such as the fact that he is a very sore loser, and an equally sore winner.  However, can you really blame the guy considering the fact that he knows he is about to die?  All in all, I’m all for team Achilles!

Now I can’t wait to read the Odyssey and see the differences between Odysseus and Achilles.  I already have some ideas about their differences from my reading this week in honors philosophy, but I can’t wait to form my own opinion about the differences between these two heroes.  It is already very clear that Odysseus is very crafty and uses is brains before is brawn.  Achilles on the other hand is a lot more head on and confronts physical fights head on.  Achilles is smart, but he does not use his wit as much as Odysseus does.
 
p.s. I commented on jasmne’s “Hector’s Proposal”
-Susan Berner

2 comments:

  1. I agree that is there is more to Achilles than wrath and anger. His care for Patroklos and his lyre playing show a softer side to the warrior. But was he really more honorable than Hektor? Hektor doesn't actually kill Patroklos, but can we say than Achilles killed Hektor? In other words, was Achilles the victor, or simply the instrument of fate?

    Also, did Achilles really accept his fate, or did unreasoning anger drive him into the fight? He did seem a little crazy in those last battles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you see some redeeming qualities in Achilles. No doubt Hector is a good man, but you'll notice that he wins very few one-on-one contests by himself.

    After all, the conflict in the Iliad isn't really between good and evil. There are heroes, but hardly any real villains.

    -Dr. Schuler

    ReplyDelete