Thursday, November 15, 2012

Losing the fight.

I am in love with the Anead.

soldiers,
brave as you are to no end, if you crave
to face the last fight with me, and no doubt of it,
how matters stand for us each no one can see.
The gods who by this kingdom stood are gone,
Gone from the shrines and altars. You defend
a city lost in flames.come, let us die,
we'll make a rush into the thick of it.
The conqured have one safety: hope for none.

One of the most beautiful things about this story, to me, is the portrayal of war. I love it. I don't even know what to say about it other than it's brilliant. I think there's something so noble about fighting when the 'gods have departed'. Maybe because it seems like something our culture has lost. I mean we want to win- always. it's hard to comprehend fighting for the sake of something you know is lost. And yet I think it's kind of beautiful. It's like fighting for something bigger than yourself. It's a spiritual redemption of a physical fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment