Thursday, November 15, 2012

Bitter Much?

One of the most interesting things that I came across in the Aeneid was the fact that Juno continued to pursue revenge on Aeneas regardless of the fact that he was fated to prevail in the end. I hate to keep ranting on the same subjects, but I could not help but getting almost frustrated at the tension between the Gods and different cosmic orders caused by their oh so human frailty. For the whole of the story up until her turnaround in book twelve, she continues to seek spiteful revenge simply because Paris had chosen Venus as the more beautiful of the two and the prophecy concerning the Romans and Carthage.   I understand that when Juno finally yields in the end and simply asks that the Latin name and language be kept,  she is, in a sense, bringing about the resolution of the story by ceasing to continue being the primary antagonist against Aeneas. My problem still remains though, that I just can't respect a god harboring that bitter a grudge against a mortal for those reasons. Although these epic tales all make great stories, I guess I'll just never be able to come to terms with their gods being so pitifully human.

PS I commented on Katelyn Ewing's

1 comment:

  1. My feelings exactly Sam! I can understand why Socrates wanted to censor the reactions of the gods. Who would want to worship beings like this, why would someone want to praise a almighty goddess who acts like a jealous teenage girl?

    ReplyDelete