Thursday, October 18, 2012

Morality, Justice, and Grace

I haven't completely wrapped my brain around everything Euthyphro, and I'm not quite sure exactly where to start with trying to get a grasp on the text as a whole, but one thing that kept popping into my mind while reading the text was (at least as far as I understood) an absence of grace.

The conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, at its core, was about justice.  The two talk of how no man would say a guilty person who admits to be guilty should go unpunished, nor would a man claim to be guilty and then ask to be let off.  Socrates then asks "And is, then, all which is just pious? or, is that which is pious all just, but that which is just, only in part and not all, pious?" So, what is moral and ultimately good is not always equal to what is just.  

My ultimate question, however, is how do the concepts of grace and forgiveness fit into an equation where piety is ideal, justice is ok in a pinch, but there is no thought of another option.  What I began to see at the end of the text however, if that even though it is not explicitly said, was that Socrates seemed to be leaning toward some type of grace, forgiveness, or at least a different image of justice by implying that unless Euphyphro completely understands the nature of the gods, he shouldn't charge his father with murder. It is ultimately God who has the right to decide what should be done. When "speaking of men..." evil doers should never be let off, but It is God's right to offer grace.


Commented on Mallory's "The Law."

2 comments:

  1. I think forgiveness and grace are very important factors but I also think that we have a duty to enact justice where it is due. Now I personally would not go and prosecute my Dad for murder just on the grounds that he is family, whether thats right or not well that is another discussion but I think if Euthyphro thought it just to do so, then more power to him. Like I said previously I do believe grace and forgiveness are important factors and I believe that they would fit into this situation through the punishment, I dont think that the punishment for 1st degree murder would be the same as negligent murder, which is what Euthyphro's father was being charged of, therefore the father would receive grace through his sentencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, grace and mercy are definitely lacking here. But when I think about the way that the Roman world was run, where would the mercy come from? Certainly not the gods, because as Plato says, the gods contradict each other. Do without God, where is grace? Nowhere.

    ReplyDelete