Thursday, October 18, 2012

Euthyphro and Socrates battle it out!

While I was reading 'Euthyphro' this week, a few things were going through my mind.

Number one, I was thinking I really didn't have a good grasp on everything that was going on... Number two, that was okay! Because that would mean that Socrates thinks I'm wise! ;)
Number three, I had never really read anything that discussed the issue of piety and impiety (holiness and unholiness) in that kind manner, and I thought it was interesting.
Socrates makes the argument that piety (or holiness) is simply doing what the gods want you do to, and impiety (or unholiness) is directly disobeying the gods. At first, Euthyphro tries to argue that with him and say there is more to it then that. However, Socrates then does what Socrates does best and keeps pushing, probing, and adding new ideas to that. Eventually Euthyphro gives up the fight. The end of the book was sort of funny to me. Here Euthyphro is, coming into this discussion, armed for his fight. Ready, with his points. But then, Socrates makes him question everything and fumble over his original thoughts.
To me, I related this to how Christians arm themselves when they get into a spiritual discussion with a non-believer. We may go into the fight armed, but if there is even an ounce of doubt in us, and that other person has really done their research, it may make us question our original beliefs. That it why I believe it is so necessary to know what you believe with 100% certainty and have the certainty to back it up even when someone comes along who appears to be wiser.

P.s. I commented on Jannah Lyon's post

3 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I feel about my own knowledge of Christianity when I face an unbeliever. I am constantly having to ask them if they will let me go look something up, or research it more. The good thing about this realization though, is that I alwasy know that I can find the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, I'm so glad you enjoyed Euthyphro. I read it last semester, but reading it a second time was even more enjoyable. I was laughing by the time I finished it because of how Socrates rendered Euthyphro speechless and he had to run off because he didn't have any more arguments. However, you brought up a sobering point. As Christians we have to know what we believe. I had never made that connection before- but in reality how often does that happen? A Christian faces off with a nonchristian, cocky and confident, but when the nonchristian challenges their beliefs they are shaken up and tuck tail and run... I'm afraid it happens more often than we'd like to admit, because it is a simple case of a man being wise in his own eyes. If someone thinks they have it all figured out, they will be met with an obstacle and falter. However, if one knows WHO their faith is in with 100% certainty, then no amount of human reasoning will be able to shake them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I throughly enjoyed Euthtphro's struggle to prove his point. Socrates constantly makes people question the reason for their decisions. We don't often think about our actions and Plato successfully makes us think of the simple issues we face everyday which are truly not simple.

    ReplyDelete