Friday, September 21, 2012

Imitators of Odysseus

One of the questions that came up in our group was whether Odysseus' character should be emulated. Odysseus is not a typical hero that is made into movies and clearly identify him as a righteous man. Odysseus is flawed and does whatever it takes to get back his kingdom. In a world that is not so black and white, everybody constantly faces what the right thing to do is but sometimes is not as simple as that instead people are constantly at crossroads where nothing seems right. In my opinion, Odysseus should be emulated into some degree because he does not just lay back and let people take care of his problems but he makes the hard choices though they may not be always right. -Emerson


I commented on Don't be a Fence rider

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that we should be proactive about the things we want to accomplish and not be lazy or passive about it and procrastinate. However, I do see a lapse in Odysseus' character where he forgets his mission, so to speak, and spends a year with Circe. I guess that's Homer saying that sometimes we all can get sidetracked from our goals. However, don't let my comment make you think that I don't agree with your post cause I definitely do. Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete