Thursday, October 25, 2012

the long road


I read the Ring of Gyges last semester in Intro to Philosophy, but I really enjoyed reading it again this semester. However, it still frustrates me. A lot of Book 2 is filled with arguments defending injustice and how enjoyable it is. One specific quote that highlights this distinctly is in section 364d:
“Vice in abundance is easy to choose,
The road is smooth and it lies very near,
While the gods have set sweat before virtue,
And it is a long road, rough and steep.”
When I read this quote I stopped and put the book down. It’s so true, and that’s why it frustrates me. The world we live in disregards injustice because doing wrong is so much more beneficial and entertaining than doing good or being just. One who desires to truly be just cannot decide on a whim to pursue justice because, in truth, the road is hard. What else could be expected in an unjust world? Justice won’t ever be held in high esteem when it’s impractical and unproductive by society’s standards. God is just. As a follower of Christ we know that our road will be hard: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.” Luke 9:23
Back to the question Mashburn asked in class… if there were no consequences would you steal a million dollars? A just person, I believe, would have to answer no, because there are always consequences. Even if you might not be punished for stealing the money, your actions will affect others. Because of this you must do what is right, and that means upholding justice even if no one else ever knows.
That’s one of the many thoughts that Plato has left running through my head.

P.S. commented on Rebekah’s “Health to the Soul”

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the fact that even if there are no consequences, everything you do still effects someone. If people steal from a company and nothing happens they will continue to steal. Eventually the company will close and you can not steal from them. So in the long run it also effects you.

    ReplyDelete