Thursday, October 4, 2012

Orestes, Hamlet, Simba and Socrates.

I loved the Libation Bearers. I kept referring to Hamlet in my mind, and also the Lion King. I just couldn't stop drawing comparisons.  I think maybe that's because this story of family struggle and power struggle is so universal. I really wonder why that is. This idea of revenge/justice, of restoring things through blood. I mean that's in every culture. I just don't understand why. Why does Orestes make so much sense to me? He's a Hamlet to me. He wants to avenge his father's death and set everything to right, but the only way to do that is through murder which undos him.
Is there some way that justice can happen without revenge? I mean could Orestes have somehow gone home and made everything right without killing his mom and her lover? Or is it that had he failed, he would have failed while attempting to do the right thing, which is better.
I am reading the Republic right now and we're discussing how it is better to be Just even if it means having nothing in life, rather than being unjust and successful. Maybe Orestes should have left everything alone?
It's very confusing, and it all blends together in my mind.

3 comments:

  1. I think it all goes back to if Orestes was just or not. I personally think that Orestes was justified in his killing of his mother, and in my eyes if he would have just left everything alone then he would have acted like a coward. I definitely agree however that it is confusing because there are so many different ways to look at the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamlet was the first thing that came to my mind, that and Macbeth. I do not think the cycle of revenge and justice will ever end. It is a part of the fallen world that reminds us all how fallen we are. Still, it does not make sense to me that one may somehow justify taking the life of another even if the person has harmed you or your family in some way. But, this has thankfully never happened to me. I hope if I were in a situation like this I would rely on someone more powerful than "the gods" for guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only difference between Orestes and Hamlet is that Hamlet did not kill his mother. His mother died to protect him. Something I don't think Clytamnestra would have done for Orestes. She had sent him away, far away from her, she didn't truly care for him. But I agree otherwise, there are a lot of similarities in the way the stories are written. I also agree with the Republic making all of this very confusing!

    ReplyDelete