Thursday, October 4, 2012

I Side with Clytemnestra??

Much of our discussion today focused on the justification of the three killings mentioned in these plays. Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter, Iphigenia, in order to gain safe passage to Troy. Clytemnestra hacked Agamemnon to death in the bathtub. Orestes coldly killed his mother over her co-conspirator's body.

The chain of revenge (according to Clytemnestra) owed its formation to Agamemnon's sacrifice of Iphigenia. Was he justified in doing this? He sacrificed her to appease Artemis and gain passage to Troy. But was the trip to Troy really worth the sacrifice? Agamemnon was going to Troy to support his little brother, who wanted to fight Troy because Paris had taken his wife. Perhaps the Greeks thought this quest for vengeance seemed like a good reason to sacrifice a daughter, but I can't agree that this sacrifice was necessary. Perhaps this sacrifice of one did save many, but none would have died at all if Agamemnon had stayed home. I'm not saying Clytemnestra was 'justified' in killing Agamemnon, but I think this sacrifice should never have taken place.

P.S. I commented on Gary Hamner's post.

1 comment:

  1. Well dear, katelyn. I did originally comment on your post, but some glitch must have deleted it. My original post said something like, I believe Clytemenestra was the most justified killer, yet she herself was still not justified. I tend to side with her as well, but she was also a cold calculated killer who without hesitation slaughtered her husband. I mean, if she really wanted a clean get away couldn't she just have slipped him some hemlock?

    ReplyDelete