Thursday, August 30, 2012

Achilles is a...



While Reading the Iliad it takes a lot out of me not to get frustrated with the so called heroes that are racking up applause and glory like tickets at Chuck-E-Cheese. It all seems so cheap to me; this idea of glory and honor that they all claim to be fighting for. I guess I just don’t buy into their concept of honor. Agamemnon and Achilles are literally fighting for their own childish pride. There doesn’t need to be as much bloodshed as there is, but because they’re in this male ego face off they are responsible for the deaths of many men. They are both at fault but Achilles is the most selfish cry baby I have ever encountered in literature. I am fully aware that he is fictional but he’s still, for lack of a better word, a complete douche bag. When I say this I don’t intend to be crude but I’m trying to level with people here. What I’m saying is that Achilles is no hero. He doesn’t fight for his family or his people but is only concerned with his own selfish ambitions and GIANT ego. He allows the men around him to die for the sake of his pride. Frankly, I think as highly of Achilles as I do The Situation (Jersey Shore reference for anyone who doesn’t watch MTV like it’s their job).  These men are considered heroes because they possess something special, but if it’s not being used to better their society then what’s the point? Who cares how awesome Achilles is if he’s the kind of “hero” that lets people die around him for the sake of pride? Maybe I’m too harsh but I just can’t see what the big deal is. 


(Commented on Rebekah Dye's)

4 comments:

  1. Just want to comment on some of your points. One, Achilles honor is the only thing he really has to live for. His woman has been stolen from him, his mother is immortal so he can never fully live with her anyways, his father is doomed to die but has his own honor as a king. Would you want to an army to prosper if their leader basically stabbed you in the back and revoked you of everything you had labored to earn? This wasn't just a petty offense this struck him to his core and not only question his manliness but his whole entire being.
    Remember it's hard for us to fully comprehend their concept of honor and how deeply rooted it was into their very souls. Their entire morals, values, beliefs were built around honor. To us, it seems silly our pathetic to cry having your honor called into question. Maybe because in our cultural, everyone's does at some point in their life.
    Honor to the ancients( in most cultures) was their only shot at immortality

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that honor is essentially all he has, I really do. But to me he's not fighting for true honor but rather his own pride. I think that a hero should have selfless qualities. Not that I expect my epic heroes to be completely selfless in all aspects of life but in this circumstance he chooses his pride over his people. And really those very people are the way in which he earns that honor... I mean if they weren't there to applaud him or glorify him then what is he? I guess I almost feel like he owes them something because without followers what fame does he have? maybe that doesn't make sense and I'm not being clear but I just can't justify pride by painting it over and calling it honor. Now Patroklos, on the other hand, is a hero in my book. He fought for his people and not just himself. He put on Achilles armor knowing the dangers and I believe he did it for genuine and selfless reasons. I can't in good conscience say that about Achilles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i completey agree! Achilles is a huge cry baby. I don't understand how he thinks he has any respect from anyone when he is acting so cowardly.He's not acting like a hero at all, he is acting like a zero. And also, if he truly cares about his so called bestfriend, why does he let him pretend to be himself and just let him die. he has absolutley no right to cry over petrokalos' death beacause he caused it! thats just my opinion. ps. I got this blog thing figured out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll just say here that what stands between Homer's idea of heroism and our modern idea of heroism is the Middle Ages. By the end of next semester, you may not appreciate Achilles any more (in fact, you may appreciate him less), but you will at least understand more about why we have a hard time admiring Achilles.

    Dr. Schuler

    ReplyDelete